Ever wanted to access your home computer when you're away from home? If you have a home network, you can use Remote Desktop Connection to access your home PCs from outside the network. This can be handy when you're traveling or at work.
There are six steps you'll need to follow to set this up. Each one is explained in detail below.
1. Allow remote connections to the computer you want to access.
2. Make sure Remote Desktop is able to communicate through your firewall.
3. Find the IP address of the computer on your home network that you want to connect to.
4. Open your router's configuration screen and forward TCP port 3389 to the destination computer's IP address.
5. Find your router's public IP address so that Remote Desktop can find it on the Internet.
6. Open Remote Desktop Connection and connect.